CHERRY-BARS FOR A CROWD
- one pouch Betty Crocker™ Sugar Cookie Mix
- one hundred twenty five ml (half cup) cold butter
- two packages (two hundred fifty g each) softened cream cheese
- one hundred twenty five ml (half cup) sugar
- thirty ml (two tbsp.) all-purpose flour
- five ml (one tsp) vanilla
- one egg
- one can cherry pie filling
- seventy five ml (1/3 cup) sliced almonds
- Preheat oven one hundred sevety five °C (three hundred fifty °F). Spraying 33 x 23 cm (13 x 9 in) pan with cook spray. Place cookie mix in large bowl. Add the butter using a pastry blender (or by taking 2 table knives and passing them over the mixture each in one direction), until the mixture is coarsely crumbly. Reserve three hundred seventy five ml (one half cups) of this batter for the filling. Press remaining batter evenly into bottom of pan. Cook for ten minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, flour, vanilla and egg with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over partially baked crust. Spoon cherry pie filling evenly over cream cheese layer.
- In a small bowl, combine the reserved three hundred seventy five ml (1 1/2 cups) of the lumpy mixture and the almonds. Sprinkle over pie filling.
- Bake for forty to forty five minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool for thirty minutes. Refrigerate for about 2 hours or until cold. Cut into six rows and four columns. Cover and store in the refrigerator.