- one (twenty fpur ounce) two-inch-thick rib steak, at room temperature
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- one tablespoon canola oil
- three tablespoons unsalted butter
- three crushed garlic cloves
- three sprigs fresh thyme
- two sprigs of fresh rosemary
Using paper towels, dry the sides of the steak by patting them; Season generously with one 1/4 teaspoon salt and half teaspoon pepper.
Warm a medium cast iron skillet over medium to very high heat, about two to three minutes; Adding canola oil.
Place the steak in the center of the skillet and cook, turning every two to three minutes, until a dark crust forms on both sides, about twelve to fourteen minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium low. Push steak to one side of skillet; Add the butter, garlic, thyme, and rosemary to the other side of the skillet, tilting the skillet toward the butter, and cook until the butter is foamy, about thirty seconds to one minute.
Working with caution, pour butter over steak for one to two minutes, turning once, until internal temperature reaches one hundred eighty °F for medium-rare, or until desired softness. Allow it to rest 16 minutes before cutting