- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 pound smoked sausage sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups of heavy cream
- 4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons coarse cajun seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 pound of uncooked penne pasta
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 8 oz freshly shredded parmesan cheese about 2 1/2 cups
- kosher salt and black pepper
- garlic powder
Dry the chicken breasts with a paper towel and season them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
On both sides of the chicken breasts, quickly sear the oil over high heat.
-Place chicken breasts, sausage, heavy cream, chicken broth, butter, garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, cajun seasoning, and several turns of freshly ground black pepper in a slow cooker.
-Cook on low for about 4 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours, until the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
-Take the chicken out of the slow cooker and set it aside to cool.
-Mix in 1/2 cup of hot water and uncooked penne pasta, cover, and cook on high for about 30 minutes.
Only until the pasta is done.
-When the pasta is soft, add the parmesan cheese, chicken slices, and more salt and black pepper to taste.